We all know avocados are delicious, and they work wonderfully in our vegan chocolate cake, but what are the real benefits of this wonder fruit?
1. Avocados are packed with nutrients: Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Copper, Vitamin B6 and B5, Iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Zinc and Riboflavin. And those are just the ones we've heard of. Avocadoes even have higher levels of Potassium than bananas; 100g has as much as 14% of your recommended daily allowance. This nutrient helps to reduce blood pressure , a major risk factor for heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure.
2. An avocado is a fruit especially high in fibre. This is digestible plant material which can help weight loss and reduce blood sugar levels.
3. Not all fat is bad, and avocados are an example of a source of 'good fat'. Some of the antioxidants in the fruit are even 'fat soluable', meaning they need fat to be able to dissolve and actually do some good to your body.
4. Eating avocados can lower your cholesterol, as well as increasing the 'good cholesterol' (HDL).
5. Some antioxidants found in avocados, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, are essential for eye health and eye sight.
We're not quite able to say our chocolate avocado cake counts as one of your five a day, but science proves avocados are a great addition to your diet, wherever you get them in. Check out these tasty avocado-centric recipes we've found lately: ** Breakfast ** Lunch ** Dinner **
It's settled. We love avocados and they love us back.
The Team @ 280 Bakes
Welcome to the 280 Bakes blog! Most posts are by myself, Louise, but if you fancy guest blogging, give me a shout!